Sources of Public Domain Media , Images, Music, and other media that are in the public domain.
The information provided on this website does not and is not intended to constitute legal advice but rather all information and content available on this site are for general informational purposes only.
This website contains links to other third-party websites. Such links are only for the convenience of the reader, user or browser and I do not recommend or endorse the contents of the third-party sites.
Neither I nor this website makes any claim as to whether any of the images found on any of these links are truly in the Public domain, and as such the responsibility falls on you to ascertain that they indeed are in the Public Domain !
If the photos are copyright free, some restrictions still apply. Specifically, people have a legal right to privacy, and the use of their likeness for commercial advertising typically requires a consent agreement. If a person is recognizable in an image, a model release must be obtained before using the image for commercial purposes.
In principle, if an photo is sufficiently modified so that individuals are no longer “recognizable”, it should be okay to use. In any and all cases, the final responsibility for the fair use of the images found on links from this site is yours. The advice you are reading here is not a qualified legal opinion. You should seek legal advice if you have any questions or doubts about your use of images containing recognizable individuals.
Additionally as is stated on the web sites of NASA, the NOAA, and the FWS, the use of these agencies’ official emblems to implicitly or explicitly endorse any product, organization, policy, or agenda is strictly prohibited by law.
I am Not an attorney and this is not intended for legal advice, merely for informational purposes and I strongly advise the reader to seek a qualified attorney to answer any questions as to the legality of using any images or other media found online.
This list is incomplete I will be adding more sources soon and also I will be adding more sources as I find them. Feel free to suggest any sources that you know of in the comments below!
- www.CLKER.com Free Public Domain Clipart http://www.clker.com
- www.PublicDomainPictures.net 45,000 vector images in public domainwww.PublicDomainPictures.net
- Snappygoat.com – 12,748,290 Free Public Domain/CC0 Images from multiple sources.
- British Library Over a million images, taken mostly from illustrations in 17th, 18th and 19th Century books, released into the public domain, as announced on the
- British Library blog. Metadata about the images and the books from which they come is also available for download on
- Pixabay – 680,000 public domain photos, vectors and video footage released under Creative Commons CC0 – free for private and commercial use, no attribution required.
- FreeQration – Over 2,000,000 public domain(or CC0)images, vectors under Creative Commons License CC0. All images are free for private and commercial use, no attribution required.
- LibreShot.com – No need to indicate the source / No registration / For commercial use. High-resolution photos in Martin Vorel’s photo blog. Photos from traveling (Mongolia, Thailand, Europe) and animals, plants and nature photos. All pictures are licensed under CC0 – Public domain.
- Gaderinge – A gathering of the best public domain images, free to download. No membership, no restrictions. Organized into many useful categories.
- DrStockPhoto – Large directory of quality public domain photos.
- PD Photo – Large collection of mostly public domain photos. Read the license for each picture before use; also, model releases may not have been obtained for all photos.
- Life of Pix Images from an advertising agency under the CC0 license for realizing works into the public domain
- OneLeft Media A boutique media studio offering original photographic artwork for bloggers. Free high-resolution photos / No copyright restrictions / No attribution required / Commercial use allowed / 10 new images added every other week.
- Photos Public Domain Thousands of high-quality public domain photographs free for any use, with no restrictions. Collections included are textures, animals, nature, and a variety of stock images for any use, including commercial.
- Pond5 Public Domain project 80.000 photos, videos and sound clips – free for private and commercial use
- Viintage.com – Thousands of vintage graphics, ephemera, and vintage advertisements that are in the public domain – free for private and commercial use.
- PDPics.com Public domain photo collection with about 7400 high resolution pictures up to 6000×4000. All images licensed under CC0 license.
- Pexels – more than 2,000 photos and all are under CC0 License so that you can use them everywhere. Even in a business context. They committed to adding 10 photos a day.
- PixZoyd.com – Nice collection of mostly outdoor photos that are Public Domain and Royalty Free under the Creative Commons CC0 – free for private and commercial use, no attribution required.
- Picdrome – growing Public Domain picture collection: no copyright, licensed under Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Public Domain Dedication.
- 4 Free Photos
- Public domain images.
- Public Domain Files Public domain pictures and clip art.
- PD Poster Public domain posters.
- RepublicDomain.com is a place for free public domain photos and desktop wallpapers.
- Phototeria.com The site presents a collection of public domain images.
- clker – Easy to search public domain images, directly usable in openoffice.org
- thepublicdomain – public domain images from various sources in one-a-day blog format.
- Free Photos – Small personal photographic collection dedicated to the public domain.
- Public Domain Footage – Public domain archival stock footage and newsreels.
- Open Galleries A community source of free photography, hosting several galleries with photos from all over the world.
- The Public Domain Review – A Blog by the Open Knowledge Foundation.
- Freetems – Public Domain images, graphics and more, free without registration.
- Public Domain Pictures A large collection of high-quality pictures for free. Possibility to contact the authors for original files. (For some photo you have to be “premium membership” a.k.a. you have to pay !).
- FreeStockPhotos.biz A large collection of Public Domain, GNU, Creative Commons & custom licensed stock photos and clip art. (Beware, CC images is not Public Domain).
- Good Free Photos – All public domain pictures of mainly landscape but wildlife and plants as well
- 1 Million Free Pictures – All pictures covering various topics are released into public domain. These pictures are originally created by the owner, therefore these pictures can be used for personal and commercial use.
- Pickupimage.com Large collection of high-quality free stock photos and public domain pictures.
- Unsplash Free (do whatever you want) hi-resolution photos. 10 new photos every 10 days from Crew.co
- Topers Photos A collection of original and edited photos using various photo applications. These photos are dedicated by the creator into the public domain. It does not require credits but a backlink to the photo blog is appreciated.
- skitterphoto.com Daily added free to use and modify photographs, published under Creative Commons CC0 license (no rights reserved).
- duion.com Archive of pictures, mainly for texture-creation, all Images are under CC0 (Public Domain) license.
- Creative Commons.photos Database for Creative Commons Public Domain CC0 licensed Photos.
- My Public Domain Pictures – A growing collection of amateur pictures released into public domain. You can use their pictures for any purpose and they do not require anything in return. Their collection includes travel pictures, pictures of animals and plants, background designs and many more being added every day. They also include a collection of high-resolution public domain pictures segregated according to topics including etchings of public domain pictures. The site also includes macro photography.
- Public Domain Media – Amateur photos released into public domain.
- FreeVintageillustrations.com – Free public domain illustrations, postcards, advertisements, and book illustrations produced before 1923.
- IRegioes – It is a free image bank where you can find pictures of various locations in Brazil.
- Black and white photos – It is a free photo site where you can find all kind of black and white photos.
- Davalign PDI – A growing collection of public domain landscape photographs.
- MarblePics – All photos can be used for personal, commercial or editorial purposes without attribution (CC0 license).
- Freeimages.red – More than 4000 free high quality photos under Public Domain license CC0.
- realgraphy.org – Authentic Non-Stock Photos for Free. Forever.
US Government resources[
- Government Documents scanned by the Internet Archive
- US National Park Service Historic Photograph Collection
- US Fish and Wildlife Service National Digital Library
- US Army Corps of Engineers Digital Library
- US Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service Photo Gallery
- US Antarctic Program Photo Library
- public access to a vast data store of maps and aerial photographs of the United States originating from USGS PD-USGov-USGS> may apply to such images.http://visualsonline.cancer.gov/ -Great resource for electron microscopy and histological images. Includes general biomedical and science-related images, cancer-specific scientific and patient care-related images, and portraits of directors and staff of the National Cancer Institute.
- USDA Agriculture Research Service Image gallery A “complimentary source of high-quality digital photographs available from the Agricultural Research Service Information Staff”.
- US Census Bureau Photo Services – media “are free to use in news media and public information products” but are not in the public domain. Photo credit is requested, commercial use not allowed; see site for licence terms.http://www.defenselink.mil/multimedia/ Current US Department of Defense publicly released imagehttp://www.defenseimagery.mil/ (formerly
http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/) – US Department of Defense Visual Information Center (high-resolution US military imagery; use with PD-USGov-Military-DVIC license template.)
- The Congressional Pictorial Directory – also available in book form.Department of the Navy –
- Naval Historical Center Photographic Section
- History of Medicine
- at the National Library of Medicine. Most but not all of the exhibitions are PD. Clicking on “Metadata” near the bottom of the page will generate a popup window with information that includes rights usage for each page.
- NOAA Photo Library
- and http://www.house.gov
- – Congressional sites have a broad variety of public domain images, especially photographs of representatives and senators.http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Graphics.shtml – A portal to US government images and photos. “Most of these images and graphics are available for use in the public domain”
- USDA Online Photography Center
- MedPix Medical Image Database
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- Oakland Public Library
- . Not all are PD! The image detail page will state the status, PD images will be clearly marked “Public domain”.http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/public/public_domain.htm – Scanned and colorised etchings claimed to be PD images.
- If any page or image seems missing, replace URI
- with http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/http://content.lib.washington.edu/costumehistweb/index.html
- – This collection includes 417 fashion plates from 1806-1914 from some of the leading fashion journals of the time.
- Archives Library Information Center Includes many collections of photos from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries.
- TotallyFreeImages.com – Totally free public-domain images – This is the largest archive on the Internet with more than 494,000 high-resolution, professional-grade, royalty-free images, 100% public-domain.(collection from government sources)http://www.unclesamsphotos.com a detailed directory of the US government’s public domain image gallerieshttp://www.thefamousartists.com – Growing resource with biographies and selected works of artists whose works are all in the public domain.http://www.getty.edu/art/ – 10000 images of Getty Museum
-  There is also
- search page
- The Crittenden Automotive Library
- . Not all are PD! The image detail page will state the status, PD images will be marked “Public domain” or by year of publication if before 1922.
Clip art, in the graphic arts, refers to pre-made images used to illustrate any medium. Clip art is generally composed exclusively of illustrations (created by hand or by computer software), and does not include stock photography.
- – exists to maintain and grow an online collection of artwork for schoolkids and others that is free of copyright concerns as well as safe from inappropriate images. To ensure these qualities, no direct user-uploaded images are allowed. This is one of the largest collections of public domain images online (clip art and photos), and the fastest-loading. Maintainer vets all images and promptly answers email inquiries.
- Open Clip Art – This project is an archive of public domain clip art. The clip art is stored in the W3C scalable vector graphics (SVG) format.
- Public Domain Clip Art– 25,000+ Public Domain Clip Arts (good for printing). Categorized & searchable.
- Public Domain Vectors– Categorized and searchable vector graphics in public domain
- Clip Art/Public Domain a list of links to sites with public domain clip arthttp://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/mapit/
- – Automatic public domain map generating program
PAT public domain maps:
- country state (
History : http://ushistoryimages.com
- – Public domain images from United States history.
http://www.acliparthistory.com – Public Domain images of the History of the World. Also Natural History and Fancy letters suitable for school projects
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/ammemhome.html Library of Congress American Memory site (Check copyright information for the separate items before deciding to use them!)
http://www.exclassics.com/newgate/ngillus.htm Images from The Newgate CalendarMostly crimes and criminals from the 18th century. Also other works at http://www.exclassics.com
http://www.fromoldbooks.org/ Collection images scanned from various old books that are now in the public domain. Searchable. Used to be under http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/
http://www.john-leech-archive.org.uk/ John Leech sketch archives 1841 until 1864 from Punch magazine The page states they are long out of copyright and that they are believed to be public domain.
http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/ Yale University’s Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library’s online collection of digital images. Most will bePD-art. 90,000 images from rare books and manuscripts, search by keyword.
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org New York Public Library. Over 700,000 images scanned from books. Including illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints and photographs, illustrated books, printed ephemera, and more. There is a per-image usage fee even for public domain images.
http://www.oldbookillustrations.com/ Images scanned from old books. States that images on the site are the works of artists who “…have been dead for over seventy years, which makes them part of the public domain in many countries”. Searchable by keywords.
- America As It Was – a huge resource for vintage postcards in the US, organized by state. Any postcard first published in the US before 1978 without an explicit copyright notice is PD. Lots of photos, aerial views, and maps of many US locations.
- “The Secret Museum of Mankind” – collection of anthropological photographs published in a 1935 book without copyright. Scanned and released under a CC-NC license, but images should be public domain, at least in the US, since they are faithful reproductions of PD images. (Warning: strong 1930’s racist P. O. V.)
- World War II Poster Collection
- over 300 posters issued by US Federal agencies
- Photos of the Great War many images of World War I, scanned in from public domain resources. Slight usage notice, which is probably compatible with GFDL (requires attribution and link, as does GFDL, requests e-mail notice of usage).
- The Heritage of the Great War has several colour pictures from World War I (likely all PD, since the effort taken to scan/reproduce them probably fails to qualify for being a derivative work).
- World’s Armed Forces Forum (gallery for images taken from
- the French Ministry of Culture’s website) hosts more colour images of World War I (likely all PD, since the effort taken to scan/reproduce them probably fails to qualify for being a derivative work).http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/childlabor/ Child Labor in America 1908 – 1912 by Lewis W. Hine
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum Thousands of on-line, copyright free photographs of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, The Great Depression and the New Deal, and World War IIhttp://archive.org
- – Scanned-in books, maps, manuscripts, and historical documents; Public Domain; available in a number of formats including epub, kindle, and daisy; Searchable.
http://openlibrary.org – Project of the Internet Archive to provide a web page for every book.
http://books.google.com – Scanned-in books & historical documents. Keyword searchable. Great source for diagrams/illustrations. (not all public domain, many still in copyright) Books google believes are in the public domain are available for download as pdf. seeBridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp, Scanned-in books. Searchable.
http://catalog.hathitrust.org – Scanned-in books from partner universities. Searchable.
http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/ – Scanned-in books from partner Spanish universities. Searchable.
Logos and flags
http://www.wpclipart.com/flags/index.html 436 flags, countries listed alphabetically, also US State flags, historical and others. All in PNG format.
- PlayaDelCarmenMexico.org Public domain photos of Playa del Carmen.
- – sells original public domain music
- The Mutopia Project – (not only) public domain sheet music
- Free New Zealand Photos Free photos of New Zealand under Creative Common license.Commons:Stamps/Public domain http://www.theworkofgodschildren.org
- Collection of high-resolution images of the Roman Catholic saints, religious symbols and related imagery. All pictures have been released into the public domain.
http://www.coolnotions.com/PDImages/pd_StoryOfTheBible.htm Collection of Public Domain pictures from the Bible.
- Florida Memory Project
- Contains Public Domain images taken in Florida.
- Florida Historical Society Contains historical photographs of Florida.
- State of Florida Library Contains many photographs and documents dealing with Florida.
- Wayback Machine
- Search 150 Billion web pages preserved by the Internet Archive.
- everystockphoto.com – Searching over 4.3 million public domain and creative commons photos including Wikipedia and NASA. Free user accounts with drag and drop collections, and other features.
- PicFindr.com – Searches a hand picked collection of public domain-, free stock photo-, and photo community sites. Includes the ability to search by rights! (whether you need to give credit, ask permission or not)
- Bing.com – Has an Advanced Image Search, that offers images in different resolutions and also categorizes images. Allows free querying of the bing Image Search API up to a certain limit per day.
- “About the Public Domain Mark — “No Known Copyright” – Creative Commons”. Creative Commons.
- “About CC0 — “No Rights Reserved” – Creative Commons”. Creative Commons.
- “Pond5 Issues 80,000 Free Media Assets With The Launch Of Its Public Domain Project”. TechCrunch. AOL
- “Open Content Program (The Getty)” Retrieved 2013-11-14.
Memory – Historical Collectuions for the National Digital Library
Savy’s Copyright-Free Photo Archive: Public Domain Photos and
Sullivan’s Photo Database
Of Congress Prints and Photographs
Turn of the Century Photos of Mexico
Turn of the Century Photos of Puerto Rico
Clip Art Library
Domain Images for Use in Multimedia Projects and Web Pages
Online Photography Center
War II poster collection
Public Domain resources should have either the Public Domain Mark 1.0 or the CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0) Public Domain Dedication mark visible.